Dansomanie Index du Forum
Connexion S'enregistrer FAQ Liste des Membres Rechercher Dansomanie Index du Forum

La Sylphide, juin 2004
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Suivante

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Dansomanie Index du Forum -> Tout sur la danse
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Katharine Kanter

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Sujet du message: Local Folkore Répondre en citant

RE-PREMIERE
LA SYLPHIDE (LACOTTE/Taglioni), JUNE 28th 2004

“It was La Sylphide, that changed me. It gave me so much, not only the dancing, but also the mime, because you could go so deep into the mime and the gestures. The pressure inside, to do a gesture, is the same for me as doing a good step. It must come from within and go outward. I was lucky, because the Danish television filmed my performances of James twice; they were shewn on the television against recently, and I felt that it had been right, that the audience could grasp what I thought and felt. It was a very great thing to dance James. Every time I dance it, it gave me so much.”

Flemming Ryberg, Interview, 1994

“In La Sylphide, of course she has eyes, and she has to use her eyes, like Mona Lisa, where you don’t know what is what – well, she is smiling, but she is sorry, in her eyes. What is it ? It’s mystery. So James is going with her out to the wood, because he wants to see what is that. And that’s also, jumping ahead, in art, when you can shew something in your dance, and in your art, there is mystery. And something that you have to go back to, because there was something that you didn’t really get an answer. Or maybe, it was so much an answer, that you have to see it again. When you love someone, you have to hear, all the time, that he will say ‘Oh, I love you, I love you’, you cannot get enough of it. So that’s the same thing. So you have to use your eyes, and also the hands. (…)

And it’s not the steps, which are telling anything. You just have to do them, because it’s ballet. But in fact, you could stand still, and tell the whole story. (…) when you are dancing a role, you have to forget about the steps, you have to make the audience forget about the steps, because it’s not that, where there is the point. The point is, to tell the story. To tell them something completely different, than steps, or technique.

(…) “Bournonville is about beauty and love. If you love your work, if you know what love of the work is, love of the music, love of what you have to tell the audience, that is it.”

Lis Jeppesen, Interview, 1988

For those not “au fait” with the local folklore, this night was Matthew Ganio’s début as James, in the run-up to which the lad – appointed étoile May 20th at the age of nineteen or twenty – has been given the Spice Girls treatment by the French media. Prime time television news on TF1, half-pagers in the Sunday newspapers, cover-story in the trade press….

Now, in the Danish Theatre until very recent decades, people were used to be appointed “solo dancer” - étoile - at the END of their career. It was a homage paid by the Royal Theatre and by the Danish people, to men and women who in service to the art form, had gone well beyond the call of duty.

To tell the truth, last night I was bored – politely bored, but bored nonetheless.

Don’t get me wrong – I’ve got nothing against Matthew Ganio. He is beyond any doubt, a sweet-natured, kindly boy. He works hard, and he’s quite a nice dancer.

But, no Gang, Matthew Ganio is not a genius, this is not Gardel, Nikolai Legat and Poul Gnatt all rolled up into one tidy parcel, and in the boy’s own interest, we should all cool it, pronto. He is too young for such roles, and too young to be Adored. As a noted pianist has just put it, in a recent interview on teenie-boppers who insist upon playing Beethoven’s last sonatas, “Mich interessiert nicht, wie Kinder philosophieren”.

Apart from Messrs. Courtain, Duquenne, Phavorin and Saiz, very accomplished artists who have been given remarkably little to do in recent years, we already have a genius in this theatre. And one such, in thirty or so years, is a good deal to be grateful for actually, without looking for it all over the place where t’aint to be found. Where IS our Prince? Where IS Emmanuel Thibault ? Musing amongst the rocks near Pontevedra ? Bring that man back next week after his stint in Rubies at Madrid, and let him to dance James !

Although Management is, to be sure, human, and as such, is perfectly entitled to be besotted with X, Y or Z and to favour them in casting (and were I running a Theatre, I should no doubt besottedly favour some as well), at the end of the day, the classical dance is an OBJECTIVE art form. Otherwise, let’s call a party, and turn the Opéra Garnier into an Opium Den.

We are dancing for the public, we are dancing to educate, enlighten and improve the public, not to settle internal disputes or create TV personalities. Therefore, we must present to the public the BEST we’ve got in this theatre.

Thibault should be dancing James, because the man masters – understatement here ! - the extremely demanding technique peculiar to this adventurous period in art history, which technique includes, lest we forget, its highly-charged mime and acting requirements. Poetry, in a nutshell.

On to the Good.

Beyond Good, Mlle. Aurélie Dupont as the Sylph, who has left one reeling from the shock of her technique. In her own discreet but determined way, Mlle. Dupont has actually improved upon our own P. Lacotte, by doing away with all those horrid, twee little crook-elbow wrist-flicking thingimajiggies that Taglioni undoubtedly never used, and replacing the lot with proper ports de bras. Her footwork must be seen to be believed. Admirable, a thousand times admirable ! One found the cry “Brava !” literally torn from one’s throat.

BEG BORROW OR STEAL a ticket to see the woman, because this sort of technique don’t grow on trees.

This writer has seen a number of celebrated Sylphs, but – so far - only two remain with me: Lis Jeppesen, and Elisabeth Maurin. The Dane, Lis Jeppesen, was a half-smiling figurine of a divinity come to life, alighting from some place in the universe where ideas are formed. Tears spring to the eyes at the thought of it, and it was twenty years ago. And that devilish spirit of contradiction Mlle. Maurin, that odd feminine principle that spurs men on to do and dare, her blue eye darting sparks like fireflies into the night.

Mlle. Dupont may not be there yet, but she has potential, and a capacity for work very rare in the world today. Let us all take the time to ponder over the quality of abstraction, the depth and sheer intensity of work, that yields the technical accomplishments we saw last night. And her originality ! The French stage is NOT one, at the present time, where mezzo-tint dancing is esteemed. As Mlle. Dupont has herself stated, we are in a Theatre where every movement, every articulation is ground out to an extreme. But, amongst the many beauties in her work last night, notably a careful eschewal of excessively large, gaping figures, she has dared to dance the very rapid passages as one would have done in the 19th century, as a TRAJECTORY, skimming over the ground with the torso engaged, and the foot and leg almost relaxed.

What Mlle. Dupont did here, is the precise equivalent of declaiming a passage in Sheakespeare meant to be taken very quickly, without ever losing the metric structure of the discreet foot (in dancing, this would correspond to the steps), though letting that wiry metric fade into the background. This prevents the parsing from taking over to become an asinine sing-song.

Was it, however, poetry ? Question.

That is why, with the reader’s permission, there appear the two lengthy quotes from our Danish colleagues, above.

Or, what is the whole play about ?

We have two versions of the Sylphide in the world’s repertoire today. One, by Auguste Bournonville to a score by Loevenskjold, dating from about 1836, and that he worked on throughout his life until his death in 1879. It is thus, in a way, his artistic testament.

Contrary to what you will read in the newspapers, Bournonville’s Sylphide is a salvo of artillery fire against the Romantics’ egomaniac world outlook, from precisely the same standpoint as Heinrich Heine.

And it is barely one hour long, amongst the most highly-focused and intense poetic statements ever composed.

The story-line could not be simpler: On the eve of his wedding, James, a young laird, dreading the Bratkartoffel mediocrity of married life, sits alone and dreams on before the fire. A vision appears to him, the Sylph. What can it be ? As he springs towards her, she vanishes up the chimney. The Scene changes, and villagers press in to see him wed. Oppressed by dreams, unsettled by a travelling Witch or Soothsayer, James cannot focus in the Here and Now upon Effie his bride. In the midst of the rejoicings, the Sylph appears to pluck the betrothal ring from James’ finger, and breathes in his ear – Follow me ! He tears from Effie, leaving her with his rival Gurn, to follow after the Sylph into the forest.

In the forest of the Unknown, the Sylph appears only to vanish, she is here, there and everywhere, one amongst many. In his endeavour to possess the creature that is no creature, James “sells his soul” to the Witch that he has spurned in Act I, for a scarf to bind the Sylph to him. The Sylph is quite willing to play with the scarf, to float it upon the air, to frolic with it, but the moment James attempts to bind her, her wings fall, and she dies. The ballet ends with Effie, Gurn and a throng of villagers celebrating the couple’s wedding in the glen.

But the storyline, is not the idea.

Put very roughly, the idea behind Bournonville’s Sylph, is this. The Sylph is a metaphor for pure creativity. A substance without substance, but innate in the mind. Though it take a thousand forms, the spark ever remains, never to be grasped in the flesh. The moment James shuns reality, and “flees out into the forest” of romantic Unreason, seeking to possess that carefree, playful spirit of pure mind as though it were a material and carnal being, the spirit withers and slips away.

Unfortunately, Bournonville’s Sylphide is never danced in France.

The version held at the French National Theatre is that of Pierre Lacotte, which he reconstructed in 1973 on the basis of the Schneitzhoeffer score and Filippo Taglioni’s manuscripts in the Theatre library.

The Lacotte/Taglioni version is extremely problematic. Its score is, first and foremost, far too long. The ballet is well over twice as long as the Bournonville version. And it has less to say. The thing Ging Lost in an orgy of line dancing, diagonal dancing, trios, solos, pas de deux, people climbing all over each other here there and everywhere…And the Scots dancers are all on pointe, amongst other puzzling events of that ilk.

As for the philosophical point, well, it lies buried under kilometres of plaid, tulle and gauze.

There are too many steps. Allow me to state this for the Umpteenth time: dancing is supposed to be FUN. Not only for the public, but, believe it or not, for the dancers ! Could we PLEASE stop piling on the difficulties ? It is far, far more important for the dancer to be able to focus on what’s happening in the orchestra pit, than to cram in three more steps for each bar of music.

Now, M. Lacotte will undoubtedly object that “it’s all in the manuscript”. Well, maybe t’is, and maybe t’aint.

What I mean is the following.

In Taglioni’s day, people danced with épaulement, not Rigor Mortis the way most of us do today. The body being fully engaged, they were more mobile, and thus much faster. Neither the knee, nor the foot, was necessarily always fully stretched in allegro work, they were wont to dance in such passages out of third, rather than fifth, they took pirouettes on the cou de pied, and so forth, all of which means that they could get up to white-hot speed, and whatever the conductor threw at them from the pit, they’d catch and run. All highly technical, but in a quite, quite different way. A music-based approach, rather than our present “Mummie, How do I Look in This ?” display.

So, compared to today’s tempi, they’d literally be tearing through their variations, more or less at the tempi indicated by the composer (a trifling detail, nowaydays) and the conductor would be there cheering ‘em on ! Incidentally, with the old tempi, we stood more of a chance at keeping a ballet-orchestra awake, but, as our American friends would say, We don’t go There Today.

Anyway, what M. Lacotte has tried to do, is to reconcile our own Martinet-like obsession with getting those legs up, and with Mechanical Perfection, to steps written down at a time when the classical dance was an explosion of joy and untrammelled musicality.

Put another way, this Sylphide can be salvaged, but it will take some heavy pruning.

Lastly, but very definitely not leastly, our Effie, the lovely Mélanie Hurel, whose mime and acting was every bit as fresh, as focused and delightful as her dancing. This writer is on tenterhooks awaiting her début as the Sylph on July 9th.

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web du posteur
haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 30, 2004 12:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

C'est maintenant confirmé, Stéphane Phavorin remplacera José Martinez dans le rôle de James les 7, 14 et 15 juillet 2004

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 01, 2004 1:15 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Je reviens d'une représentation fabuleuse de la Sylphide. Avec Benjamin Pech et Delphine Moussin, nous avions véritablement deux étoiles sur scène, émouvantes jusqu'au larmes. Ce qui est extravagant, c'est que pour ces deux danseurs, il s'agissait d'une prise de rôle (Mme Moussin n'avait jusqu'à présent dansé qu'Effie), alors qu'ils forment manifestement LA distriubution idéale pour cet ouvrage. La technique de Benjamin Bech outrepasse tous les superlatifs, et relègue toute "concurrence" à des années-lumière. Et M. Pech domine tellement sa technique, qu'il s'affranchit totalement des contraintes terribles qu'elle impose, et peut se consacrer tout entier à l'interprétation, à la caractérisation de James, qui devient enfin un personnage de chair et de sang. Rien de commun avec la première, où cette Sylphide fut surtout une succession laborieuse de "pièces de concours". Au vu de sa prestation de ce soir, on se dit que Benjamin Pech aurait sûrement mérité la récompense suprême qui lui a été jusqu'à présent refusée.

Delphine Moussin fut également une Sylphide au-delà de tout éloge. Certes, sa technique n'attend pas à la perfection de celle d'Aurélie Dupont, certes, ses équilibres sont parfois moins bien tenus. Mais il se dégage de son jeu une émotion qui arracherait des larmes au plus insensible des quidam, même ignorant des choses de la danse. Sensibilité à fleur de peau, perfection du style, émotion mais jamais mièvrerie. Une merveille. Presque une nouvelle Taglioni. Et sa danse s'accordait remarquablement bien à celle de Benjamin Pech. Merci à ces deux artistes de nous avoir accordé ces deux heures au Paradis.

Pour le reste, on retiendra l'Effie tout à fait méritoire de Dorothée Gilbert, très à l'aise dans un rôle qui met en valeur ses qualités techiques - son jeu de jambe était d'une précision diabolique, et c'est bien ce qu'il faut pour se sortir de l'accumulation invraisemblable de difficultés que renferme la chorégraphie de Pierre Lacotte - sans trop la solliciter du point de vue du mime, qui demeure sa principale faiblesse.

J'attends de revoir Mathilde Froustey pour juger de son pas-de-deux écossais, car là, elle a joué de malchance avec un ruban de chausson récalcitrant, qui l'a un peu déconcentrée. Pour arranger le tout, la grande pause qui précède la coda a été bruyamment intérompue par la chute d'un archet (?) dans la fosse d'orchestre. Dans de bonnes conditions, son tempérament enjoué et dynamique devrait y faire merveille.

Enfin, il faut de nouveau fustiger la mauvaise tenue de l'orchestre, justement, avec un solo de cor exécrable au deux (l'accompagnent des alti ne valait guère mieux). Il semble que quelque soit le chef, la musique de ballet romantique doive être systématiquement massacrée. Mesdames et Messieurs les instrumentistes, les amateurs de danse ont aussi des oreilles, préservez-les.

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 01, 2004 9:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

L'heure tardive de la rédaction de mon compte-rendu m'a fait commettre une petite injustice, en oubliant de parler, dans le corps de ballet, d'Alice Renavand, qui comme le soir de la première, a fait très grosse impression. Beaucoup d'énergie, de joie dans sa danse, et une grande précision dans les mouvements de jambe. Preuve encore une fois qu'elle n'est pas seulement une danseuse de ballet "contemporain"...

Katharine Kanter

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 01, 2004 12:09 pm    Sujet du message: The Right to Change Répondre en citant

Début of Benjamin Pech and Delphine Moussin
July 1st 2004

Allow me to second M. Haydn’s remarks concerning M. Pech !

For readers in the provinces or abroad who have never seen M. Lacotte’s Sylphide, it may be worthwhile to point out, that the men’s variations may be the most arduous in the entire international repertory – while those for the Sylphide, are only slightly less difficult.

It is the equivalent of presenting the Varna Competition five times over in a single night.

What M. Pech did last night was almost unbelievable.

Merely getting through those variations is already something of a miracle, but to pull the whole thing off with scarcely a waver, scarcely a hesitation or flaw, is an absolute triumph. The speed and cleanliness of M. Pech’s batterie in myriad steps never danced elsewhere today, in and out of positions that one would have thought impossible, the perfectly-drawn trajectory, the whip-like tautness of manèges so complex that one shudders even to think of it – unbelievable, and we should all bow down deeply to him.

M. Pech’s sensitive and thoughtful partnering is already justly esteemed, though one imagines that partnering a woman so meticulous, and so reliable, as Mlle. Moussin is rather more of a pleasure than a chore !

However, allow me to state once again, that I do not think that we should be doing this to people.

There live but a handful of men in the world, who could do what M. Pech did last night (amongst whom, Emmanuel Thibault).

My own view is that we should NOT be composing works so difficult, that no more than one or two percent of dancers worldwide can bring them up to an acceptable standard.

Why ?

Firstly, because there are dancers who have a great deal to say, but who will never, ever, for sheer physical reasons, and no matter how hard they work, be able to dance choreography like that of Lacotte. We should not be excluding 97% of the dance world from this type of role.

Secondly, because we have got to get down and think, “coldly” as it were, of what we want to do with theatre.

Is a theatre-play a spectacle for the eye, or is it a work of art, for the mind ? Do we wish to impress people with what we know, how clever we are, how many obstacles we can jump over, thereby proving to the public that they will NEVER be able to do anything even remotely like that, or do we wish to uplift the public, and lead them to think about ideas for a change - in this dreary, object-ridden world of ours ?

Let us remember that Paganini is not precisely remembered today as a great musician !

One would NOT wish to rile M. Lacotte, the more so, as there is virtually no classical dance left on our stages, worldwide, but to be absolutely frank, the reason one was wiping tears from one’s eyes when Mlle. Dupont was dancing on the Monday, was because one knows full well how difficult it is to do, from a sheer technical standpoint, and one was struck dumb by the majesty of that woman.

But one was not pondering over the ideas that are the very substance of Bournonville’s Sylphide. One is moved neither by the play, nor by the acting, because the principals are too strung-out by the difficulties to play the play. (The corps de ballet, incidentally, are used as mere ciphers, a living back-cloth). Nor is one moved by the relation between the steps and the music, save for those brief instants when that purveyor of the unexpected, Mlle. Mélanie Hurel, went down onto the stage as Effie on the Monday.

Overall, one cannot but feel that this sort of choreography reflects a scholastic, hair-splitting outlook, that tosses off the question of the soul as a side issue.

M. Lacotte composed his “Sylphide” in 1973, when he was a youngster, so to speak, of forty. Would it be dreadfully rude to suggest that thirty years on, he might now wish to consider amending his work, just as Bournonville amended his own “Sylphide” right up until his last days in the theatre ?

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web du posteur
haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 01, 2004 3:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Je partage entièrement l'opinion de Katharine Kanter en ce qui concerne Benjamin Pech : ce qu'il a fait hier soir, il n'y a qu'une poignée de danseurs sur cette planète qui sont capables de le faire. C'est tout bonnement fabuleux, et je ne pensais pas qu'on pouvait aller aussi loin dans l'excellence technique. Il n'y a guère que Maria Alexandrova et Emmanuel Thibault qui m'ont procuré d'aussi vives émotions.

Pour ce qui est de la chorégraphie, je suis moins d'accord. Le défi technique peut avoir un intérêt, et la Sylphide n'est pas plus un numéro de cirque que le troisième acte de Don Quichotte dans la version Nouréev par exemple. Et lorsqu'on le voit dansé par des artistes de la trempe de M. Pech et Mme Moussin, on se rend compte que cela peut aussi prendre un sens sur le plan dramaturgique, même si le second acte laisse trop peu de place à la pantomime.

Je ne pense pas qu'il faille vouloir à tout prix se référer à la chorégraphie de Bournonville. Si reconstitution il y a c'est vers Filipo Taglioni qu'il faut se tourner. Sa Sylphide n'est pas la même que celle de Bournonville, l'esthétique en est autre, même si les deux ouvrages sont presque contemporains. Et ce n'est pas la même musique non plus. Donc, s'il faut faire un reproche à Pierre Lacotte, ce n'est pas de trahir Bournonville, mais de ne pas être suffisamment fidèle à Filipo Taglioni...

Soit dit en passant, il y avait des cars-régie hier à Garnier, et des micros étaient installés dans la salle. Si par hasard, l'ONP avait eu l'idée d'enregister au moins des bouts du spectacle... Car si une distribution doit être gardée pour la postérité, c'est bien celle-là et sûrement pas Dupont-Ganio... La seule chose à regretter serait dans ce cas de ne pas disposer de l'Effie superbe de Mélanie Hurel. Mais celle de Dorothée Gilbert n'avait rien d'indigne.

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Ven Juil 02, 2004 1:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Pour les cars-régie, l'explication est qu'ils devaient enregistrer des extraits de Capriccio pour le jt de France 3, mais que comme les journalistes de cette station étaient en grève, on a laissé le matériel en place pour refaire la prise ultérieurement... Pas de Syphide donc... Sad

En ce qui concerne la représentation de hier soir, même si Mathieu Ganio a davantage soigné la petite batterie que lors de la première, et qu'aucune faute technique significative n'était à déplorer, j'avoue qu'il ne passait pas la même émotion que la veille, avec Benjamin Pech. Idem pour la Sylphide d'Isabelle Ciaravola, qui ne me fera pas oublier Delphine Moussin, même si là non plus, aucun reproche majeur ne peut-être fait sur le plan technique. Côté mime, la scène de la mort de la Sylphide manquait un peu de crédibilité, et la nymphe ailée semblait plus aimante que désespérée... Les espiègleries du premier acte et du début du second étaient plus en phase avec les exigences dramaturgiques de l'argument.

Bonne surprise, Caroline Bance en Effie. En dépit de quelques entrechats et battus un peu mous (là, l'expérience de Mélanie Hurel fait vraiment la différence), le niveau générale de sa danse était fort bon, avec une jolie variation dans le pas-de-deux du 1er acte. Et comme toujours, Mlle Bance était excellente actrice.

Dans le corps de ballet, l'on remarquait, comme lors des deux représentations précédentes, Alice Renavand, qui sort vraiment du lot. Mlle Renvand, comme nous l'vons déjà souligné, veut de toute évidence prouver qu'elle est aussi capable de briller dans le répertoire romantique, et se défaire de l'étiquette de "spécialiste du contemporain" qu'on lui a peut être hâtivement attribuée. Démonstration concluante, sans aucun doute.

Relevons aussi le bon comportement - là aussi, déjà souligné - de Ghyslaine Reichert et Sarah Kora Dayanova, qui toutes deux rayonnaient et on su trouver des expressions extrêmement touchantes au second acte.

Enfin, l'orchestre est de pire en pire chaque soir ; solo de trompette ponctué d'un solide "pain" dans le pas-de-deux écossais, cor scolaire et à la justesse incertaine au deuxième acte, entrées approximatives et tempi fluctuants, avec en prime des cordes d'une homogénéïté plus que douteuse. Vraiment, on se moque des spectateurs et des danseurs. Le pire, c'est que l'orchestre de l'Opéra est évidemment parfaitement capable de bien jouer une partition comme la Sylphide, mais bâcle le travail par manque de motivation et désintérêt - si ce n'est carrément du mépris - pour une musique jugée indigne de lui...

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 04, 2004 11:31 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Quelques photos de la représentation du samedi 3 juillet, qui nous sont comme d'habitude gentiment envoyées par Pierre Very Happy .

Pierre

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 04, 2004 9:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Découverte samedi du ballet la Sylphide, expérience virginale s’il en est.
Ici, nous sommes dans un ballet quasi psychanalytique dont l’argument renvoie aux plus profondes interrogations universelles. Le fantasme amoureux mérite donc un traitement particulier.

Mais j’avoue n’avoir investi le spectacle qu’après l’entrée en scène de Mathilde Froustrey et Grégory Gaillard qui par leur extraordinaire brio ont pu attraper le spectateur par les artifices purs de la danse.

Pourtant tout ceci avait parfaitement commencé. Benjamin Pech assoupi dans sa bergère, plongé en plein fantasme, est un parfait acteur en plus d’être un magnifique danseur.

Pourtant, l’intemporalité du mythe de l’amour impossible a été distrait par cette référence envahissante au folklore écossais.
Alors, même si le travail de Pierre Lacotte est absolument nécessaire, n’y aurait pas une autre relecture de ce premier acte ? C'est à dire sans ce décor complètement kitsch (charrette de paille, fausse fenêtre…) et surtout cette évocation d’une Ecosse de pacotille qui, pour moi annihile la pureté du sentiment, à la différence de Don Quichotte où le kitsch fait partie du spectacle et où l’argument n’est que prétexte à bravoure, faste, extase…
J’avoue avoir vu ce premier acte comme une simple reconstitution historique du ballet originel et n’avoir pas su assez vite m’identifier à James, et ce malgré l’extraordinaire talent de Benjamin Pech.
Bref, on aurait pu imaginer James, étudiant moderne, même en kilt (par Jean-Paul Gaultier !), entouré de jeunes gens sur un campus universitaire, et pourquoi pas à Glasgow ou Edinborough…
Il est vrai que je reste encore troublé par la puissante capacité d’un metteur en scène, comme Carsen la semaine passée avec Capriccio, à nous emporter dans son imaginaire…

Le talent de Mademoiselles et Monsieur, Moussin, Pech, Gilbert, et donc Froustrey réussissent à nous faire oublier tout ce fatras et nous voilà embarqués dans le vaisseau sidéral vers le rêve.
Le premier acte se termine en apothéose avec un corps de ballet en grande forme.

Le deuxième acte de la Sylphide, même à l’époque des effets spéciaux numériques, conserve intact sa puissance poétique et fantastique et l’on est en lévitation jusqu’à la tombée du rideau. On imagine bien encore aujourd’hui l’impact sur les spectateurs de 1832 et l’on réalise l’importance de la trace laissée dans l’histoire du ballet par cet acte magique.
Ces voluptueux costumes, cet éclairage diaphane, ces combinaisons complexes, ces poses calculées ont dépassé le cadre de la danse et l’on se surprend à s’étonner des références esthétiques répandues par la Sylphide dans l’imaginaire des artistes du XIXème et XXème siècle que ce soit en peinture, mais aussi au cinéma, et jusque dans la parodie même de la danse classique. Donc cette découverte est aussi pour moi une révélation.
Ici, ne rien changer, nous sommes au pays des merveilles.

Il y a bien eu un petit incident que seuls les spectateurs côté jardin on pu apercevoir derrière une toile : la "trotinette" de Delphine Moussin a eu un raté au démarrage et cette dernière en a été jetée à terre… brouhaha dans les coulisses, fou rire contenu de notre ami Benjamin qui galant relève la belle qui peut retourner à son irréalité vaporeuse…

Que dire de Benjamin Pech ? Que ses « petites batteries » (c’est cela Haydn ?) et autres « jetés » (ou la la, c’est comme si je m’improvisais œnologue…) ses pirouettes et autres élévations sont tellement parfaites que le jeune danseur peut se consacrer entièrement à son rôle. Je ne suis pas assez spécialiste, mais Pech me fait penser à Romoli, une techique parfaite au service d’une grande intériorité. Etoile sans aucune hésitation. Il transpire en plus la gentillesse et la modestie. Alors va-t-il falloir « mettre un peu la pression », comme dans le cas Gillot, pour qu’enfin les Thibault et Pech soient reconnus à leur juste valeur ?

Chez les dames, il serait inconvenant d’émettre la moindre critique tant tout ceci était réussi, mais un petit faible quand même pour la lumineuse Froustey…

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 05, 2004 9:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci pour ce compte-rendu enthousiaste et détaillé, Pierre.

Pour mémoire, Stéphane Phavorin, qui remplacera José Martinez dans le rôle de James, avait obtenu en 1994 le second prix masculin au concours international de danse Maya Plissetskaia, à Saint-Pétersbourg :

http://maya.wplus.net/ballet_konk1_eng.htm

Source : http://maya.wplus.net/

Katharine Kanter

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 05, 2004 7:15 pm    Sujet du message: Ride'em Cowgirl ! Répondre en citant

RIDE’EM COWGIRL !

In response to Pierre’s query as to the Scots dances, might one suggest study of Bournonville’s Sylphide, Act One ?

Bournonville had a clear purpose in staging the Scots dances: to form a counter-point to the world of the Sylphs, and their way of being.

In this ballet, pointe-work belongs to the Sylphs. Bournonville has the Scots women in shoes or soft slippers, never pointes. He recorded the national dances of every nation he visited, and used them very effectively elsewhere in other plays as well (Cf. Knud Arne Juergensen’s “Photographic Record” of his ballets, with photographs that go back as far as 1841).

The Scotsmen in their dances push and press INTO the ground, whereas, the Sylphs press OFF the ground. In Bournonville’s Act I, the Sylph flits, unreal amongst the revellers in the Scots reel. Grimly comic, however, is Lacotte’s pas de trois, with the Sylph hitching up her skirts to clamber stiffly up onto James back. Whoopeee ! RIDE’EM Cowgirl !

By turning the Scots dances into a whirl of balletic tours de force, M. Lacotte has muddied their purpose. And what to say of the kilt-clad men, high-kicking like male chorus girls ? Radio City Music Hall, here’s novelty for you !

CHILL OUT

In the 19th Century, Gurn, the Witch, and the Mother, were major characters, and are still played that way - by étoiles (!) - in the Danish theatre. Gurn has some dances, and indeed, some of the Danish Gurns are so forceful, both as dancer and as mime, that they have almost to be asked to “chill out”, so as not to overshadow James in Act I !

Why does Gurn agree to take on the spurned Effie ? If James be a dreamer, why should Effie love a stolid lump in his stead ? Neither a question, nor a shade of an answer, in the Paris version.

In Act I, each and every member of the corps de ballet must be a proper character. When the village girls beg the Witch to read their hand, at Paris we get a flock of hens flapping their wings in ballet steps. In Bournonville’s version, there are NO dance steps, as the girls sidle up timidly, one by one, and let the public to read upon each little face, their hopes and fears.

A perfect example of how casually the Lacotte version deals with such matters, is the “unimportant” scene where the bride Effie is given flowers.

Flowers in those parts, were (and still are) rare and costly, even for a laird. But a stampeding herd of girls, bearing huge bouquets, stomps up to Effie, all with precisely the same gesture at precisely the same beat on the music, thrusting the flowers into the bride’s hand as though they had just bought’em at Boots the Chemists. Can’t recall what Effie does with the flowers afterwards, perhaps she dumps them...

Worse still, the Abandonment scene. This is the year 1804, or thereabouts, in the dark Highlands. Neither the man, nor especially the woman, would live much beyond the age of forty. Marriage was a deadly serious thing, and no going back.

For a man to break off his engagement, meant that the girl would likely be spurned as shop-soiled goods by every man in the village. So when James flees out into the forest, Effie’s reputation, and thus her life, may well be ruined. She, and her mother, collapse in rage, grief and despair, while the villagers are scarcely less dismayed. An earthquake in a remote mountain village !

In the Paris version, Effie looks round the stage as though missing her beau at a cocktail-dînatoire. She tosses a glance out the portal, sees He has Gone, and petulantly casts down her bouquet in a pretty little fit – has someone just spilt wine on her party frock ? - only to be consoled by Mumsy in thirty seconds flat.

Fine, I cry ‘NUNCLE ! ‘NUNCLE ! And you win ! ‘Nuncle ! Ballet is a light-weight art form, and we should none of us take it one bit seriously, right ? But I still find this pénible !

ju

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 06, 2004 6:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

quelqu'un a-t-il assisté à la représentation d'hier soir?? j'aimerai beaucoup connaitre vos impressions sur laura hecquet et josua hosffalt dans le pas de deux! Wink

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 06, 2004 7:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

J'espère que quelqu'un pourra vous répondre, Ju. J'assiste à presque toutes les représentations, mais hier soir, je ne pouvais vraiment pas. C'est dommage que Josua Hoffalt n'ai pas pu danser avec Mathilde Froustey, mais j'ai tout lieu de penser qu'avec Laura Hecquet, cela s'est très bien passé aussi. Ce sont deux jeunes danseurs talentueux et prometteurs, et Mlle Hecquet est particulièrement à l'aise dans le répertoire classique. Il faudrait espérer qu'on lui donne aussi du Lifar à danser (je sais, je me répète!), car elle y serait certainement excellente.

haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 08, 2004 12:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Quelques reflexions sur la Sylphide de cette soirée du 7 juillet.

On ne s'attardera pas sur la prestation d'Agnès Letestu, qui était manifestement dans un jour sans. Techniquement et stylistiquement, cela frisait les limites de l'acceptable, et cette artiste est capable de tout autre chose. Stéphane Phavorin, qui remplaçait José Martinez, s'est sorti avec les honneurs des chausses-trappes de l'un des rôles les plus difficiles du répertoire. M. Phavorin, même s'il ne possède pas les mêmes facilités que Benjamin Pech ou Emmanuel Thibault (le ballon lui fait un peu défaut, notamment), il a assez correctement maîtrisé les terribles variations du deuxième acte, et sa performance est d'autant plus méritoire qu'il n'a disposé que de très peu de répétitions pour préparer le spectacle. De plus, M. Phavorin a fait montre des solides qualités d'acteur qu'on lui connait depuis longtemps.

Bonne suprise, l'Effie d'Aurélia Bellet, danseuse que l'on a plutôt l'habitude de voir - tout comme Caroline Bance qui l'a précédée - dans le répertroire contemporain. Mlle Bellet s'était déjà favorablement distinguée au sein du corps de ballet lors des précédentes représentations, et a campé une Effie d'excellent niveau technique, et fort bonne commédienne également, parvenant à donner une réelle consistance a un rôle a priori dépourvu d'intérêt dramatique.

Mallory Gaudion s'est également montré solide technicien dans le pas-de-deux écossais, qu'il s'est manifestement donné la peine de retravailler avec soin depuis ses précédentes apparitions dans ce rôle. Le porté final était notamment bien plus assuré qu'auparavant. Mathilde Froustey été une partenaire remarquable, au jeu de jambe extrêmement propre et précis, et pleine de la vivacité qu'on lui connaît depuis longtemps.

Coup de chapeau à la superbe Aurore Cordellier, qui se détachait nettement, au second acte, d'un trio très héterogène, où officiaient également Amélie Lamoureux et Christine Peltzer. Aurore Cordellier demeure, parmi les danseuses de la jeune génération, l'une des plus solides défenderesses du style classique français.

Enfin signalons que l'orchestre, sans être parfait, était néanmoins bien meilleur que lors des précédentes représentations.

Dernière édition par haydn le Jeu Juil 08, 2004 1:10 am; édité 1 fois
haydn
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 08, 2004 1:00 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Il semblerait, selon des informations non confirmées, que ce soit finalement une représentation comportant la distribution Pech-Moussin qui fasse l'objet d'un enregistrement vidéo... Si cela s'avère exact, ce serait une divine surprise, car la performance extraordinaire de Benjamin Pech mérite vraiment d'être préservée pour la postérité. Après tout, ils lisent peut-être Dansomanie, à la direction de la Danse de l'ONP Mr. Green

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Dansomanie Index du Forum -> Tout sur la danse Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Suivante
Page 3 sur 5

Sauter vers: